Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unacceptable

Unacceptable
What do we do when we pray? Do we tend to justify our prayers?

I am extremely greedy. In fact I don’t even hesitate while demanding. After all its God I am asking from right? Nothing should be a big deal for Him (or Her). Most of the times I am almost as unfair as wanting to eat the new Bournville Chocolate and have it too. Almost.

Most times we don't stop with praying do we? We engage in a transaction with God.
I have always wondered what is the point of bribing God. Its common practice in all cultures I guess.

“Give me a pass mark in Quantum physics (I know...don’t “ahem” ...just an illustration ;)) and I will come and lie down and revolve around your Home 100 times”

“Cure me of my short term amnesia that is interspersed with wide mood swings and I will give you my hair. I mean. Seriously. My HAIR. Yeah. No kidding. You heard it right God.”

“Make sure the marriage gets finalised without any hassle and I will come and meet you. Again. No kidding. You could actually meet me. Yes”

“Get me my Visa to US and I will get US dollars, convert it into Indian rupees and then get you as much gold as you weigh. Your whole weight.”

“Give me a kid of my desired gender preference and I will pierce his/her ears. Literally. Imagine .Who will do that for you eh? I will make my kid do it Man. Just for you.”

I know. Ridiculous as they may be, it is what we think. Technically what can an omnipotent omnipresent entity gain from what we are offering? In fact when we think about it, it’s preposterous for us to think that such an entity is in dire need for commodities such as hair (or to have his home surrounding leveled) and that it would be immensely pleased with us for providing that.

It looks funny only when we think about it without actually being involved in it because unfortunately we don’t realise its futility when we are indeed thinking that way.

But else what can we mere mortals do anyway?

Imagine someone we deeply love is seriously ill. We will do whatever it takes to cure that. We can spend money. We can be with them. We can do a lot of things. But unfortunately what we can do is finite and we hit upon a point where we still want to hold onto something. That desperate need to think that something more is possible. That there must be someway to do more. And even a rational mind, wouldn’t hesitate to do anything from rolling on the ground to tonsuring its head, just to be able to think that there is a possibility that there is indeed a omnipotent omnipresent entity that can help provided it can prove to that entity that what it is asking for is indeed very very VERY valuable. Who cares if its silly or against rational and scientific reasoning? When the thing at stake is so important, who silly cares about ideals and philosophies and realism and ego and whatever we tend to crap about when we are normal.

“Our bribes to you oh God are just human ways to tell you that we do really need what we are asking for. We are after all, Human. The fact that we know that they are ridiculous just shows how desperate we are. It actually strengthens the credibility of the need in a contrasting way aint it?”
And it seems that You say “There are no unanswered prayers. Sometimes the answer is no”.

“No Dude. You are God. And that is Unacceptable.”

4 comments:

Jagadish said...

I feel, he definitely listens to us. After all, he is our creator. There is no issue bribing HIM.

John Sekar said...

While offering (if ridiculous) succour to the needful heart, religion is also the most easily abused and exploited system for controlling human beings on the planet. From the Crusades of ancient times upto events like Godhra and Kandhamal today. And the dumbass Republicans in America, who are just like the BJP in India but with more power.

Makes me wonder if we should have religion at all in the first place.

Me! said...

well said johnnyboy :) besides,our bribes to God are manifestations of our innate nature to feel obliged to give something if u wanna get something in return. its unfair asking for free,u see. :)

nice topic though :) and nice writing. :) keep it up

Sankar Deiva said...

@John
the question is should we do away with the whole thing(including its good parts) because its exploited?
I guess its pretty debatable ;)

@Me!
Thanks.
Is it fair to ask something for free?
Well, if not with anybody else, it should be fair to ask God. aint it?
and im not sure whether its our innnate nature to feel obliged to give something if we want to get something. I dont think all humans are THAT just ;)